How to protect industrial design via the other national offices

PrintPDF Share

In order to register an industrial design in a foreign country as a national registration an application for registration of an industrial design should be filed with the office of a relevant country (Directory of Intellectual Property Offices). The industrial design will be protected on the territory of the relevant country or union of countries.

This way of registration is complicated due to language barrier, different processing normatives of the offices and a requirement to employ a local representative for communication with the national offices of many countries. On the other hand national registration may be the most reasonable way for the applicant, for example if protection is needed in only one country.

Last modified 22.02.2017