Payment of the fee by a person not residing or operating in Estonia
1) as the official working language of the Estonian Patent Office is Estonian, all documents must be presented in Estonian;
2) the Estonian Patent Office only communicates with a representative registered in the Estonian state register of patent attorneys, also when solving problems that may arise. For example, if the state fee is paid in smaller amount than the prescribed rate provides, and there is no patent attorney, the patent becomes invalid.
The state fee is deemed to be paid if the Patent Office has received the following information certifying the payment of the state fee:
1) the number of the payment document and the date of payment;
2) name of the payer;
3) the amount paid;
4) name of the operation for which the state fee is being paid for;
5) the number of the patent application or registration;
6) confirmation of the bank or signature of the person who composed the document;
7) the originator (institution or person) of the document.
The document confirming payment of the state fee must be submitted to the registry of the Patent Office in person or by post. If the document confirming the payment of the state fee is not submitted in due time, the patent becomes invalid.
Documents sent by telefax or other electronic means are not accepted. The Estonian Patent Office does not send any notifications if the state fee is not paid by the due date.
According to the Estonian Trade Marks Act a person with no residence, seat or commercial or industrial enterprise operating in Estonia shall authorize a patent attorney who has been registered in the Estonian state register of patent attorneys as the person’s representative to perform procedures related to payment of renewal fees.
www.epa.ee provides information in English concerning the fees (bank details, current schedule of the official fees).