The Estonian Patent Office (hereinafter: Office) is a government agency which operates within the area of government of the Ministry of Justice and has a directing function on the bases and to the extent prescribed by law. In fulfilling its tasks, the Office represents the state. The name of the Office in different languages is:
- in English - The Estonian Patent Office;
- in French - Office des brevets de l'Estonie;
- In German - Estnisches Patentamt;
- in Finnish - Viron patenttivirasto;
- in Russian - Патентный депaртaмент Эстонии.
The area of activity of the Office is to implement the directing function in the field of the legal protection of industrial property within the extent of tasks prescribed by law.
The objective of the operation of the Office is to implement national economic policy in the field of legal protection of industrial property.
The main functions of the Office are:
- to provide legal protection to the objects of industrial property in the name of the state, and to inform the public about the providing of legal protection and about its validity;
- to participate in the development and implementation of legislation within its area of activity, and to submit proposals for the amendment and supplementation of such legislation;
- to participate in the development of policies, strategies and development plans within its area of activity; to prepare and implement projects connected with its area of activity, including participation in the preparation and implementation of international projects.
||on 23 May 1919 |
||in 1940 |
||on 3 December 1991 |
||on 10 March 1992|